Jobs at Bandcamp
How We Work
There is no Bandcamp office. Our team is sprinkled throughout the world, with arms, cells, pods, what-have-yous in San Francisco, Montreal, Los Angeles, the Pacific NW, a Carolina, Pittsburgh, Vermont, the British Isles and Berlin. We get together all day and night on slack, design and document everything in a wiki, do a short daily hangout that is exactly like the start of Hill Street Blues, and meet in person a few times a year for strategizing, working head-to-head, and laser bowling. If you do not have a strong social structure outside of work then employment at Bandcamp will likely lead to heart disease and an early death. We’re hiring!
Bandcamp is looking for an Editorial Director to lead the day-to-day and long-term editorial direction and content for a new, expanded online music magazine covering the Bandcamp community. You believe music is art, not content, and you are excited to explore, discuss and share the finest and most unique music and artists on Bandcamp.
- Shape the voice and direction of our publication
- Work directly with a team of section editors and contributing writers to cover the finest art and artists we have in the Bandcamp community
- Plan short- and long-term coverage and build out our editorial calendar
- Copy edit and ensure excellent quality throughout our publication
- Generate fresh story ideas about important and unique releases/artists, including the best new and unknown artists on Bandcamp
- Spot new talent and recruit the best music writers to contribute
- 5+ years and editorial experience at a high-volume online publication or news outlet
- Deep knowledge of and relationship with current and historical music culture, with a strong sense of what matters, what should matter, and why
- Well-developed and well-respected musical taste combined with a wide-ranging and open-minded palate
- Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure while managing a large editorial team
- Mastery of social media, and understanding of the types of stories that perform well on various social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Voracious reader of music and culture news
- Many high-quality writing samples from online publications
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bandcamp is looking for a clever, convivial individual to join the support crew.
- Use your expert knowledge of the site to field email inquiries from an amazing but not always 100% sober customer base of artists, labels, and fans.
- Work closely with other teams to identify & report usability snags and other surprises.
- Follow internal engineering developments to stay several steps ahead of potential support issues.
- Hone our help docs with the objective of putting yourself out of a job reducing the support team’s load.
- Exercise your formidable interdisciplinary talents on a range of side projects, as time/interest/expertise permit.
- When you see someone write “it’s” for “its,” or “loose” for “lose,” you get angry, sad, or both.
- Impeccable organization gives you a wild rush.
- Extra credit: you are already a Bandcamp user (applicants with both Fan and Artist accounts are entitled to double drink tickets).
To apply, send a resume & writing samples (and/or a link to your blog) to the address given when you append the class obscure-movie-reference to this tag.