Jobs at Bandcamp
How We Work
There is no Bandcamp office. Our team is sprinkled throughout the world, with arms, cells, pods, what-have-you in San Francisco, Seattle, Liverpool, Montreal, The City of Angels, Portland, Oxford, D.C., Alberta, Raleigh, British Columbia, and Bennington (which is in Vermont). We get together all day and night on irc, design and document everything in a wiki, do a short daily hangout that is exactly like the start of Hill Street Blues, and meet in person a few times a year for strategizing, working head-to-head, and jamming on microsynths. If you do not have a strong social structure outside of work then employment at Bandcamp will likely lead to obesity, heart disease, and an early death. We’re hiring!
Bandcamp is seeking a mind-bogglingly talented individual for our design team to help us create new products and features, improve existing ones and make our site and mobile apps shining beacons of wonder for all who gaze upon them. You will design. You will code. You will have a positive impact on the lives of hundreds of thousands of artists and their millions of fans each and every day. You will feel good. You will feel as good as I do right now.
- You are a user-experience/interaction designer and visual designer.
- You will be able to take your ideas from sketches to mockups to production-ready HTML/CSS.
- You understand that design is how a product looks and how it works.
- You love digging into a problem, understanding the underlying causes and creating solutions to address those issues.
- Your work exhibits a refined, clean, contemporary visual aesthetic.
- You know about typography and how to use it on the web.
- You have an irrepressible joie de vivre that permeates your work and elevates it from good to great.
- You have a natural curiosity that drives you to learn, research and investigate.
- You are skilled at giving and receiving design criticism and appreciate its importance as part of the creative process.
- You live in any part of the world, but your work schedule overlaps with GMT-7 at least four hours each day.
- You have done some amazing work to date and are certain your best work is still ahead of you.
- You are an excellent writer and communicator who enjoys sharing your thoughts and designs with your peers.
- Bonus: You have experience in animation, illustration, print, video and/or photography.
- Your portfolio reflects all of the above.
Recent and soon-to-become graduates warmly encouraged to apply. Seasoned practitioners with pliable wills in no way discouraged.
Please send your resume, portfolio and a brief blurb about yourself and why you want to work at Bandcamp to:
(that’s four letters, not twenty one) and we will get back to you shortly. If you have to use reverse image lookup to solve the above then please acknowledge your guilt in your cover letter.
Head of Business Operations
Bandcamp is seeking a responsible adult, ideally with an MBA from a non-virtual, onshore institution, to lead our business operations. You will:
- prepare financial statements and board packages
- prepare option grants and assist employees wanting to exercise options
- conduct performance reviews and coordinate who gets raises and when
- assist with fundraising
- work with our PEO, Insperity, helping them do whatever it is that they do
- pay employees, pay contractors, pay bills
- move money from this account to that account
- put together employment agreements for new hires
You’ve already done the above at a growing company, and yet the thrill is not gone.
You’re comfortable handling all of this on your own at first, but you also have the know-how to build out the systems and team around these responsibilities as we grow (and as you, perhaps, ascend to COO).
You’re a fixer. When the glamour of day-to-day business operations is interrupted by a company credit card that’s just been cancelled due to a fraudulent charge and payment information for dozens of online services needs to be updated immediately, you are not phased.
You live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
If that sounds like you, please send your resume and a brief message about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are accepting applications now for positions opening this summer.
- Superlative programming skills
- A history of developing successful, large-scale, public web software
- (Open to) a love of the ruby programming language
- Knowledge of writing software for mobile devices (iOS and android)
- A world-weary wisdom from fighting with and then making peace with css
- A world-weary wisdom from fighting with, making peace with, and in the end kinda sorta loving sql (we use mysql)
- The ability to find your way around and make things happen in linux
- Outstanding writing skills (a personal blog we can visit is a plus)
- Full-time availability
- You can live anywhere, but your work day needs to overlap at least four hours with gmt-7
- Experience with statistics, data mining and visualization (we like R and ggplot2)
- Familiarity with designing simple and clean web APIs
- Knowledge about threading concepts and distributed computing
- Experience with port 11211
- Have you ever written a video game?
To contact us, check the HTTP headers.