Jobs at Bandcamp
How We Work
There is no Bandcamp office. Our team is sprinkled throughout the world, with arms, cells, pods, what-have-yous in San Francisco, Brooklyn, Montreal, British Columbia, the British Isles, Los Angeles, the Carolinas, Pittsburgh, Vermont, Mexico City and Berlin. We get together all day and night on Slack, design and document everything on a wiki, do a short daily hangout that is exactly like the start of Hill Street Blues, and meet in person a few times a year for strategizing, working head-to-head, and laser bowling. If you do not have a strong social structure outside of work then employment at Bandcamp will likely lead to heart disease and an early death. We’re hiring!
Designer / Art Director
Bandcamp is seeking a talented individual for our design team to help us create and direct artwork, design new editorial features, improve existing ones and make the editorial on Bandcamp a shining beacon of wonder for all who gaze upon it.
You will design. You will direct photography and illustration. You will have a positive impact on the lives of hundreds of thousands of artists and millions of readers and fans each and every day.
- You are a graphic/visual designer and art director.
- You live in any part of the world, but your workday overlaps with GMT-5.
- You are able to direct artwork, illustration and photography.
- You understand that design is how a product looks and how it works.
- You thrive when you’re working with a small team in a rapidly-changing environment.
- You work well in a self-directed role with minimal supervision.
- Your work exhibits a refined, clean, contemporary visual aesthetic.
- You know typography and how to use it on the web.
- You have a critical eye and know what makes a standout image.
- You have some experience wrangling photographers and getting great work under tight deadlines.
- You can’t understand why a job posting would list HTML, CSS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, and Dreamweaver as requirements when that’s already obvious. We are joking about Dreamweaver.
- You have a natural curiosity that drives you to learn, research and investigate.
- You are skilled at giving and receiving design criticism and appreciate its importance as part of the creative process.
- You have done some amazing work to date and are certain your best work is still ahead of you.
- You have an irrepressible joie de vivre that permeates your work and elevates it from good to great.
- You are an excellent writer and communicator who enjoys sharing your thoughts and work with your peers.
- You are well versed in using Wordpress or other comparable publishing tools.
- You know HTML and CSS.
- Bonus: You have experience in illustration, photography and/or video.
- Bonus: You have a great network of freelance photographers you can call on, who you know will get the job done.
- Bonus: You are based in the New York City area.
- Your portfolio reflects all of the above.
Please send your resume, portfolio and a brief blurb about yourself and why you want to work at Bandcamp to:
(that’s four letters, not thirty one – please use the first letter of the first word, the second letter of the second word, the third letter of the third word and the fourth letter of the fourth word) and we will get back to you shortly.