Jobs at Bandcamp
How We Work
There is no Bandcamp office. Our team is sprinkled throughout the world, with arms, cells, pods, what-have-yous in San Francisco, Brooklyn, Montreal, British Columbia, the British Isles, Los Angeles, the Carolinas, Pittsburgh, Vermont, Mexico City and Berlin. We get together all day and night on Slack, design and document everything on a wiki, do a short daily hangout that is exactly like the start of Hill Street Blues, and meet in person a few times a year for strategizing, working head-to-head, and laser bowling. If you do not have a strong social structure outside of work then employment at Bandcamp will likely lead to heart disease and an early death. We’re hiring!
Bandcamp is looking for a clever, convivial individual to join our interdisciplinary, ultradedicated, unusually well loved support team. You are a superb and compassionate communicator, obsessively detail oriented, and possess a strong desire to get to the bottom of how things work (or why they don’t). You are willing to spend the majority of your day crafting helpful messages because you, like us, believe that customer support is not a necessary evil, but rather a critical business function as powerful as any product feature.
- Use your expert knowledge of the site to field email inquiries from an amazing but not always 100% sober customer base of artists, labels, and fans.
- Follow new project developments to stay several steps ahead of potential support issues.
- Work closely with other teams to identify, report, and correct usability snags (and other surprises).
- Hone our help docs and internal processes with the objective of putting yourself out of a job reducing the support team’s load.
- Your writing is impeccable. Full stop.
- You are able to retain an enormous, ever-changing set of specific details, and live for the little blast of dopamine that comes from connecting the pieces.
- Extra credit: in addition to your sublime control of the English language, you are also proficient in French or Japanese.
- Extra extra credit: you are already a Bandcamp user (applicants with both Fan and Artist accounts are entitled to double drink tickets).
To apply, send a resume and writing samples (and/or a link to your blog) to the address given when you append the class obscure-movie-reference to this tag.
Bandcamp is seeking a talented individual to help maximize the performance, availability, and security of our production systems. You’re an experienced developer, but you don’t need to work on fancy UIs — you want to get into the nuts and bolts, understand how things work, and make them work better. You have a strong Linux background, proven troubleshooting skills, and a willingness to be on-call.
- Find, prioritize, and fix performance, availability, and security issues at all levels of our backend stack: Linux, Ruby, MySQL, Memcached, Solr, nginx, haproxy.
- Troubleshoot production problems.
- Research new techniques and technologies, and refactor existing code to make use of them.
- Build tools to gather performance and availability data, and analyze the results.
- Collaborate with our development team to create features which are fast, highly available, and secure.
- Write code to automate systems tasks.
- Build new systems from scratch, from design through ordering servers and deploying software.
- Live anywhere but your work day needs to overlap at least four hours with UTC-7.
- Experienced coder. You have real-world programming samples you’re proud of and can share.
- Understand Linux, how to write code for it, and how to debug code running on it.
- Intimately familiar with SQL, including optimizing schemas and queries.
- Scientific: formulating hypotheses, running experiments, reaching actionable conclusions.
- Cool and rational in the midst of a crisis.
- Very, very. Very. Detail-oriented.
- Adore documenting your work, and do so pithily.
- Communicate in technical English with fluidity and grace.
- Comfortable being on-call and working at odd hours.
Shall we play a game? If you’re interested, view source to apply.