Jobs at Bandcamp
How We Work
There is no Bandcamp office. Our team is sprinkled throughout the world, with arms, cells, pods, what-have-yous in San Francisco, Brooklyn, Montreal, British Columbia, the British Isles, Los Angeles, the Carolinas, Pittsburgh, Vermont, Mexico City and Berlin. We get together all day and night on Slack, design and document everything on a wiki, do a short daily hangout that is exactly like the start of Hill Street Blues, and meet in person a few times a year for strategizing, working head-to-head, and laser bowling. If you do not have a strong social structure outside of work then employment at Bandcamp will likely lead to heart disease and an early death.
Bandcamp is seeking a mind-bogglingly talented individual for our design team to help us create new products and features, improve existing ones and make our site and mobile apps shining beacons of wonder for all who gaze upon them. You will design. You will code. You will have a positive impact on the lives of hundreds of thousands of artists and their millions of fans each and every day. You will feel good. You will feel as good as I do right now.
- You are a user-experience/interaction designer and visual designer.
- You will be able to take your ideas from sketches to mockups to production-ready HTML/CSS.
- You understand that design is how a product looks and how it works.
- You love digging into a problem, discovering the underlying issues, crafting solutions and measuring the results.
- Your work exhibits a refined, clean, contemporary visual aesthetic.
- You know about typography and how to best use it across mediums.
- You have an irrepressible joie de vivre that permeates your work and elevates it from good to great.
- You have a natural curiosity that drives you to learn and investigate.
- You are skilled at giving and receiving design criticism and appreciate its importance as part of the design process.
- You have conducted user tests and used the findings to address design issues.
- You are an excellent writer and communicator who enjoys sharing your thoughts and work with your peers.
- You have done some amazing work to date and are certain your best work is still ahead of you.
- Bonus: You have experience in animation, illustration, print, video and/or photography.
- Your portfolio reflects all of the above.
- You live in any part of the world, but your work schedule overlaps with GMT-7 at least four hours each day.
Recent and soon-to-become graduates warmly encouraged to apply. Seasoned practitioners with pliable wills in no way discouraged.
Please send your resume, portfolio and a brief blurb about yourself and why you want to work at Bandcamp to:
(that’s four letters, not twenty one) and we will get back to you shortly. If you have to use reverse image lookup to solve the above then please acknowledge your guilt.
Bandcamp is looking for a clever, convivial individual to join our interdisciplinary, ultradedicated, unusually well loved support team. You are a superb and compassionate communicator, obsessively detail oriented, and possess a strong desire to get to the bottom of how things work (or why they don’t). You are willing to spend the majority of your day crafting helpful messages because you, like us, believe that customer support is not a necessary evil, but rather a critical business function as powerful as any product feature.
- Use your expert knowledge of the site to field email inquiries from an amazing but not always 100% sober customer base of artists, labels, and fans.
- Follow new project developments to stay several steps ahead of potential support issues.
- Work closely with other teams to identify, report, and correct usability snags (and other surprises).
- Hone our help docs and internal processes with the objective of putting yourself out of a job reducing the support team’s load.
- Your writing is impeccable. Full stop.
- You are able to retain an enormous, ever-changing set of specific details, and live for the little blast of dopamine that comes from connecting the pieces.
- Extra credit: in addition to your sublime control of the English language, you are also proficient in French or Japanese.
- Extra extra credit: you are already a Bandcamp user (applicants with both Fan and Artist accounts are entitled to double drink tickets).
To apply, send a resume and writing samples (and/or a link to your blog) to the address given when you append the class obscure-movie-reference to this tag.